Old Sessions House - Once a Harsh Courthouse, Now... A Thriving Social Space!

Sessions House, Old Sessions House, Middlesex Sessions House, Masonic Temple, Courthouse, London, Architecture, Buildings, Old, Rare, Antique, Town Square, Clerkenwell,

Once a prominent landmark and now a fine restaurant! 'Sessions House, Clerkenwell Green.' This print was drawn by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd and engraved on steel by S. Lacey, for Shepherd's "Metropolitan Improvements; or London in the Nineteenth Century." It was published by Jones & Co. of 3 Acton Place, Kingsland Road in London in 1831. The print measures 5 1/2 x 8 1/4 inches. This beautiful building was once a courthouse known for it's harsh punishments. It was known as Middlesex Sessions House and was built in 1779 by the then prominent architect Thomas Rogers. The building remained a courthouse until the 1920s when it was sold to manufacturers Avery and Scales; after which, it was sold to the Masons, who held it until 2014 when the current owners, Swedish brothers, Oliver and Ted Grebelius decided to transform the space into a beautiful meeting place! 👩🏼‍⚖️🥂🏛💛


Share this post